2019 is here and off to a running start. Social media is ever changing, ever evolving. There are always new features, tools and platforms launching. Best practices change. Tactics need to be tweaked. So much happened in 2018, with the continued rise of influencer marketing, more and more social automation (hello chat bots) and lo-fi taking over the way we share video, to name just a few. 2019 is the year that storytelling turns into storyliving. Looking ahead to the coming months of 2019, here are 5 trends we think will make a splash in the social sphere this year.
5 Trends for 2019:
Social media is all about developing and maintaining trust between brands and consumers. This year, there are two ways businesses can build (or rebuild) trust.
- Private Groups – Customers are wanting to shift from public to private spaces, such as, messaging apps and closed groups (Facebook, LinkedIn etc.). Curated, exclusive content, just for them. They crave that 1:1 interaction that feels more intimate.
- Nano Influencers – Nano influencers are the everyday consumer who have 1,000 to 5,000 followers. They see 6x the engagement of other influencers because their followers are real and not inflated by fake followers and bots. Because these people are seen as more ‘authentic’ by their audience, they are able to convert their likes and followers into paying customers for the brands that partner with them.
- Mastering Paid Content
Invest in creativity, add personalization and master new ad formats. Don’t be afraid to repurpose concepts from top performing organic content and turn that into paid content. Every platform has the ability to advertise on now, think about where the majority of your audience spends the most time and pay to play there.
- Cracking the Commerce Code
Social shopping is easier than ever with shoppable posts that allow users to go from discovery to check out without ever leaving the platform. Perfect for product-based businesses with visual content. Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest are the three best platforms for social shopping.
- Messaging for Millennials & More
With the predicted shift from public to private spaces, people will spend more time messaging than posting. It’s no wonder messaging apps have landed in spots 3, 4 and 5 most popular social media platforms. 90% of users would like to use messaging to communicate with businesses. A recent survey showed 84% of consumers expect companies to respond within 24 hours. However, the same study found that 47% expect a response within an hour!
- Creating Offline Experiences
Consumers want to experience your brand offline and online and businesses need to think of ways to start morphing the two, If you’re a small brick-and-mortar business, make sure to create Instagram-worthy moments for your offline customers, which would encourage them to take a snap, share it on social media, and, of course, tag your brand. Think mural walls, creative logo placement or crazy cool limited-edition products (remember the unicorn frapp from Starbucks?!).
Knowing what’s coming up in social media will help you choose which new tactics you’d like to try or solidify that you’re already on the right track and just need to keep plugging away, one post at a time.